batchfile for drivers

ajkm 18:31 20 May 05

I have downloaded the batchfile for saving my drivers from the pcadvisor website, but missed the mag where it was originally published, and I dont know haw to use them properly. I am going to reboot my computer in the next week so would be grateful for advice.
thanks all.

Eric10 19:20 20 May 05

Choose the batch file for your OS and double-click it. Read the warning and press a key. Sit back and wait. A new folder is created on your C: drive called "olddrivers" and files from several system folders are backed up into it. If you have another drive in your PC you can move the folder to that to keep it separate from your system drive. When you re-install Windows and it asks for drivers you just need to point it to this folder.

Eric10 19:45 20 May 05

I only checked the batch file for Win XP and it turns out that for Win98ME it creates a second folder called "datawin". The procedure for Win98ME is also more complex. The magazine in question was issue 118 (May) and it is available from Back Issues. Link is on the left on the Magazine page of this site. click here

ajkm 22:25 20 May 05

want to thank you Eric10. Did not find the folder on the c drive, then realised I had run it from the d drive, and found it there. Great.

mun 08:20 21 May 05

Hi,
I seem to have the opposite problem to you AJKM: I have the magazine but I'm unable to find the batchfile software anywhere on the website. Could you please point me in the right direction to where you found it? Many thanks.
By the way, do you or anyone else know what happened to the SP2 Upgrade forum on the website.It was set up last year but now seems to have disappeared.
Thanks again in advance,
John

Eric10 10:13 21 May 05

There was an appology in the letters pages of latest edition of the mag (issue 120) for the ommission of the batch file from the website which happened during redevelopment of the site. You'll can download it from click here.

I think the SP2 forum was setup when the Service Pack was new to help with the multitude of problems that arose so that the Helproom forum didn't become swamped with specifically SP2 questions. However, now that things have settled down the Helproom Forum is well able to help with the few problems that may still crop up.

mun 10:41 21 May 05

Thanks Eric10!
I'm doing my first SP2 upgrade in the next few days. Hopefully using the various magazine articles, the driver copy software and any old posts on this forum, should get me thru ok
Thanks again, John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…