Batch change file extensions.

concise 21:12 19 Jan 05

W98
Can anyone advise if there is a free/shareware program available to batch change file extensions please?

VoG II 21:14 19 Jan 05

Do you mean that you want to change one file type to another (e.g. .bmp to .jpg)?

Just changing the extension won't do this.

Diodorus Siculus 21:15 19 Jan 05

Batch File Renamer download and review - rename files from SnapFiles
click here

concise 22:38 19 Jan 05

VoG. Yes I want to change TIF to JPG. Having laboriously changed 400 files the other way I now want to change them back - as they say "don't ask."

D-S. Tried this but got a vast page of symbols. This is tending to happen to me lately with downloads, could it be that inspite of what they claim they are not W98 friendly?

Diodorus Siculus 07:48 20 Jan 05

Changing extension will not do it; try an image converter like Irfanview from click here which has a batch conversion facility.

concise 15:01 20 Jan 05

Thank you for your interest. Infranview from tucows doesn't even want to begin to load. I have software for a Kodak camera and a Pentax camera, Adobe Photo Delux and Thumbs Plus on my PC. All pefectly adequate in their way but not entirely compatible in that pictures generated by one are not necessarily accepted by another. Whether changing the extension does anything to the internals of the file or not doesn't seem relevant as doing just that can make one program accept a file it has rejected before. Some for example will accept tif but not tiff, jpg not jpeg, jpg not tif and so on and so on. jpg seems the best compromise. I thought a program to batch change extensions was a feature of some later operating sytems, could be wrong. I am sure I saw such a thing on a recent magazine disc but can't lay my hands on it. To save any more time and space here I'll change each back individually.

scotty 15:21 20 Jan 05

As mentioned above, remaning does not change the content of the file but if you are trying to undo your 400 changes you can remane in DOS.

Put copies of all the files to be changed into a separate directory (Don't work on the originals). In a DOS window navigate to the relevent directory using the CD command. Rename using the command REN *.tif *.jpg

This command will rename all files with extension tif to the same name with extension jpg.

scotty 15:24 20 Jan 05

REN *.tif *.jpg

Just for clarity there is a space after REN and after tif

concise 23:13 20 Jan 05

That sorted it, thanks Scotty.

and thanks to VoG & D-S

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…