Basically, all my components are overheating

Cybermaxx 18:01 02 Jul 06

since I installed my new nVidia 6800GT graphics card. I know it's designed to run hot (50 degress centigrade at idle), but it's heat is obviously pushing up the temperature of the other components, especially during intensive 3D games.

Is there anything I can do about it, short of removing the PC's side panel (which I might try!)? The case isn't a full size jobbie (Micro ATX, I think?).

P4 2.66
CD-RW
DVD ROM
One IDE HDD (there is another one in the case, but it isn't connected up. I could remove it completely, though......)

So, any ideas? Any other info. required?

Taff™ 18:27 02 Jul 06

Can you fit another internal fan anywhere? Cheap enough if there`s room in the case.

Taff™ 18:30 02 Jul 06

click here for example.

Cybermaxx 18:34 02 Jul 06

Where would I fit it, though?

Btw, this is the case in question:-

click here

Another view (small pic., but you can see the black air duct on the side):-

click here

Taff™ 19:47 02 Jul 06

By Air Duct do you mean this is a sealed channel from the CPU? Are there any other vents that would expel hot air that are clear. Bear in mind that at least one vent is required for air input.

If there isn`t you may have to consider cutting another hole yourself and fitting an extractor fan to it.

Taff™ 19:56 02 Jul 06

The "Akasa Exhaust System Blower" on the web link I gave you fits into any spare slot. On the diagram you posted ther may be some between the Video Card and the Modem right at the bottom.

I can now see the Air intake at the top by the Power Supply Unit so an exhaust blower could fit at the bottom without ant problem. Check to see if there are "blanks" where I said.

Cybermaxx 20:46 02 Jul 06

Hehe, "air duct".......... See, this is why I'm posting in the AB forum!

re. PCI slots. It only has three. One is occupied by the 56k modem, and the 6800GT intrudes into another one. Leaving one slot free. So, that Exhaust thingy could be fitted. It would be directly below the 6800GT's fan, though.

Cybermaxx 21:01 02 Jul 06

Okay, thanks, Taff. I'll get one of those (hopefully from a local PC vendor, though), and give it a go. I can keep an eye on temperatures with Everest and check if it's working okay. If it isn't, well it's only £4 or whatever......

Taff™ 21:16 02 Jul 06

Perhaps not the best arrangement but ask your local PC Vendor what he thinks - Good Move! On the same page link there is another type of fan arrangement that utilises a spare 3.5" drive bay - that might be a better solution. Air intake at the rear of the case and exhaust to the front. The danger there is though it causes a throughput straight across the top of the case when ideally it needs to "Pull" the hot air from below.

Cybermaxx 21:23 02 Jul 06

This is what happens when you buy a pre-built PC with a small case. It is my first PC, though, so I'm, er, excused.

I'll try the Akasa System Blower. Not much to lose, like I said. It would probably help if I made an effort to tape down some of the wiring in the case, too. It really is cramped in there. My previous card, a 9600XT, ran a lot cooler than this 6800GT, and this problem never arose.

You live and learn.

Input Overload 22:55 02 Jul 06

The very small nylon cable ties are ideal for tidying the interior of the case up, you can get them from most hardware/diy oulets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…