Basic router info needed

ton 17:00 30 May 05

I am new to routers and networking etc. I'm thinking about buying a Netgear DG834GT router.

My plan is to have the main PC wired to the router and a laptop to connect through wireless.

My question is - Would the main PC have to be switched on for the laptop to connect to the internet?

powerless 17:08 30 May 05

No it would not.

As long as the router is up and running any computer can connect to it.

ton 17:34 30 May 05

Thanks Powerless, I assume then that the router would have its own power supply (not like my ASDL modem, which is powered through USB).

Another question - Would the main PC (connected by cable) need a card of any description? We don't want the PC and the laptop talking to each other, just to use the same broadband connection.

powerless 19:57 30 May 05

You have read the specs for the router haven't you?

* Five products in one, it combines an ADSL modem...*

The whole router will be powered from the mains.

The PC would need a NIC click here [you might already have one] to be connected to the router through some cable.

Taff36 20:49 30 May 05

Much less hassle. click here What do you think Powerless?

Taff36 20:57 30 May 05

This little bundle is about £80 click here and includes a 4 port router/modem with ADSL filter, a USB wireless adapter and some pretty vague set up instructions but we can solve the latter! It was available from PC World for £69.99 last month but they soon put it back up £10.

ton 01:38 31 May 05

Thanks all. Things are a bit clearer now.

ton 19:43 04 Jun 05

Just thought I'd add that the router (Netgear DG834GT) is now set up and working well.

I can recommend this router for ease of setting up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…