Basic questions-using a webcam with MSN Messenger

rickus 11:04 03 Jan 05

Cannot find these basic questions answered in my webcam doc or on Creative's site. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a Creative PD1001 webcam. It displays the image it is seeing on my PC but I am struggling to get it to work with MSN Messenger 6.2.

When talking to someone using a logitech webcam I can see them. When I invite them to join me it does not work.

- What settings do I need for the webcam? The video capture device was set to Creative WebCam WDM which did not work on MSN but I have changed it to VFW. When I go to MSN it only gives me the WDM option evan after rebooting. I have not got a video compressor selected in the webcam software. Do I need to select one and if so how do I know which one?

- My webcam does not seem to have a microphone. I do have a separate set of headphones with a mic. Do the leads need to be plugged into the same sockets as my speakers? What settings do I need to then adjust to use it.

ACOLYTE 11:07 03 Jan 05

You both have to send a request or only one of you will see the other.Have you run the audio/video wizard in the options.

rickus 11:26 03 Jan 05

Blimey - that was quick acolyte!

The MSN audio wizard test sends something thru to the headphones but the mic test does not seem to work whichever socket I put the red lead in.

It is not offering me a video wizard just 'web camera settings' which for camera selection only offers the WDM option.

ACOLYTE 11:43 03 Jan 05

I havent used MSN 6 for ages so im not sure on the excact oaths, but im pretty sure there was a video wizard,as for the mic have you made sure its not muted in the sound options of your pc,you may need to select options/properties or advanced to tick the box for the mic to show,and the mic boost box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…