Basic networking - internet access and email

Kuching 19:37 01 May 04

I have two PCs. The broadband cable plugs into the first PC which is connected to the second PC via a 15 meter long Cat.5 crossover RJ45 cable. I use the second PC especially at night. Can someone please advise me:
(a) Is there any way I can access the internet when the first PC is turned off?
(b) Why does my incoming mail go to the inbox of the first PC and not appear on my second PC?

GermfreeUnicycle 20:51 01 May 04

In order to get both computers working independently of the other, you would need to invest in a device such as a router. This is because in the setup you currently have, software on the first computer bridges the internet so that you can access it on the other computer. When the computer is off the software cannot run, hence the internet won't work on the second computer.

With regards to the email problem, the email software(such as outlook) downloads the email from an internet server. Either the second PC is not set up to download emails from your mail account, or the first PC is downloading them, and at the same time removing them from your server. Either way, you need to make sure your second PC has the email account settings correct in the email client, and that the first PC leaves a copy on the server. This can generally be done fromt the options or accounts menu option in your email client.

HTH

Chris

Kuching 22:01 03 May 04

Thank you, GermfreeUnicycle, for your advice on my internet access and email. The latter is still unresolved but I am working on it. It is not as simple as I expect and I am going through the process of trial and error to hopefully get the desired result.

byfordr 10:16 04 May 04

click here If you have some 15 metre cat5 strung around the place you may want to consider wireless. Some very good deals on the link above. Would recommend the Netgear DG834G (comes with 1 wireless adapter) for £100. Simply plumb the pcs in to the router either wirelessly or via cat5 then as long as the router is on you can use either pc without the other being on.

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…