Basic laptop required

sunways 20:22 24 Oct 05

Hi i require a new laptop for my daughter. It must be able to run Sims 2 and Microsoft office. Dell are selling InspironTM 1200 for £400, which is about all i can afford. So are Dell any good, is the processor up to it. Opinions much appreciated, but bear in mind the price !!

cheers Daryl.............

ade.h 20:32 24 Oct 05

I run Office 2000 on an absolutely ancient creaking Athlon XP 1700 (Thoroughbred) and it copes. I assume you're a bit more up to date than me and have Office 11; I wouldn't expect it to be much different resource-wise.

Sims 2 would be another kettle of fish; I'm no gamer, but I wouldn't expect a £400 notebook to run games. It'll have the simplest of integrated GPUs and hold on to some of the system RAM for its own use.

BTW - see if the FE will move this to Consumerwatch; more relevant there, so you'll get more replies.

ade.h 20:34 24 Oct 05

Oh, and to answer your second question; Dell notebooks are reckoned to be pretty solid all round, though there are perhaps better value ultra-budget options, like Acer and MV.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…