basic file sharing over network and printer?

WaiKent 21:15 09 Nov 03

Hi i have set up a basic network consisting of hub two cat 5 cables leading to 2 pcs with ethernet adapters and wan for bb. So what i want to know is, can i access any machines files from any computer on the network and how would i go about sharing a printer as the hub doesnt support printer sharing. my printer is lexmark Z22, could i possibly print through a pc as it is currently connected to one client pc.

Sam Witch 21:23 09 Nov 03

First you need to share the directories you want, try not to share the main root drive, if you do set a password for access, select the printer and in XP rightclick and select share on the network. you might have to load the driver onto the other printer.

When I didi it my other PC picked up the shared printer and installed it as it was a recognised driver in XP.

then try to print a test page.

look as click here for a lot of networking info

WaiKent 21:31 09 Nov 03

oo thanks. do i right click C: on xp and would it have an option called share over netowrk and a password option? and the printer is linked to my windows ME pc would it still have that same option? I will try what you said and tell you how it goes.

DieSse 21:36 09 Nov 03

On the ME system, you need to go into the Control Panel , Networking - and install file and printer sharing, before you can set up files or printers to be shared.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…