basic file sharing over network and printer?

WaiKent 21:15 09 Nov 03

Hi i have set up a basic network consisting of hub two cat 5 cables leading to 2 pcs with ethernet adapters and wan for bb. So what i want to know is, can i access any machines files from any computer on the network and how would i go about sharing a printer as the hub doesnt support printer sharing. my printer is lexmark Z22, could i possibly print through a pc as it is currently connected to one client pc.

Sam Witch 21:23 09 Nov 03

First you need to share the directories you want, try not to share the main root drive, if you do set a password for access, select the printer and in XP rightclick and select share on the network. you might have to load the driver onto the other printer.

When I didi it my other PC picked up the shared printer and installed it as it was a recognised driver in XP.

then try to print a test page.

look as click here for a lot of networking info

WaiKent 21:31 09 Nov 03

oo thanks. do i right click C: on xp and would it have an option called share over netowrk and a password option? and the printer is linked to my windows ME pc would it still have that same option? I will try what you said and tell you how it goes.

DieSse 21:36 09 Nov 03

On the ME system, you need to go into the Control Panel , Networking - and install file and printer sharing, before you can set up files or printers to be shared.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch