Basic advice please on connecting wireless laptop

tootsietights 19:50 27 Dec 07

I have a conventional wired PC which has a sagem modem plugged into a BT phone line. My ISP is Tiscali Broadband. The PC has Windows XP. I now want to buy a wireless laptop. How do I connect the wireless laptop into my existing non-wireless PC system as I would like to be able to transfer files etc. All I know is that I will need a router but do not know which one to get. Sorry, but I know very little about all this. Also, should I buy a laptop that has Windows XP the same as my PC?

ambra4 22:44 27 Dec 07

How is the Sagem modem connected via a USB port or Via an Ethernet cable to the Lan port on the computer?

If via USB you will need to purchase a combine ADSL2/2+ Modem Wireless 54Mbps Firewall Router sample of the type required.

Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway Router

click here

3Com Office Connect Wireless 54Mbps ADSL2/2+ Modem Firewall Router

click here

D-Link Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router

click here

Using the above type routers you would remove your present modem and do a total new install

If via an Ethernet cable you can purchase just a wireless router, which you connect to your present modem via the Ethernet cable

Linksys Wireless-G 54Mbps Broadband Router

click here

D-Link 54Mbps Wireless Broadband Router

click here

tootsietights 22:52 27 Dec 07

Thank you very much for your help.

ambra4 00:53 28 Dec 07

With regards to the laptop OS it would be easier for you if you stay with XP as Vista can be a real pain if you are not to verse in computers and wireless networking

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…