base unit -idea's??

richard 09:04 23 Mar 03

hi guy's

i' looking at replacing just the base unit from a socket a 550 ath to something more up to date..

if you had a budget of 500 quid all in and were not into gaming etc
just general p.c +internet usage

what would you spec/build ??
or who do you recommend buying a complete base from??

cheers

richard

Hi
I am also looking to buy a base unit for approx. the same price and yesterday I saw on the back of the 'Mirror' magazine there was an advert for 'Computer World' they do all sorts of base units based on AMD athlon 1800+ upwards.They seem very reasonable prices from £399.00. They are offering VAT paid on these systems. I wonder if these base units are any good??

mole44 11:15 23 Mar 03

go to Evesham they do base units and 3 year guarantee,there machines win loads of awards so they must be doing something ok.i`ve had one of there machines for 5 years nooo problems. you also get lifetime support on a 0845 number mine is still an 0800 number.

rev.bem 11:43 23 Mar 03

Try

click here

and click on configure your dream pc now
you can specify a more than adequate base unit
for less than £500

richard 19:53 23 Mar 03

i feel you may be missing the point of the question..

ie what is the ideal spec??

yes yes i know no such thing but what would you spec...??

cheers

richard

professor 21:42 23 Mar 03

ok id visit click here

an ideal spec would be:

gigabyte ga7vaxp m\b

athlon xp 1800+

256mb pc2100 ram

40\60gb HDD

radeon9000

dvd

cd-rw
and all the normal guff floppy etc.

the spec above is what ive got its versatile with plenty of upgradability,for example when you flash the MB with the latest BIOS it will accept the latest amd athlon 3000+ and is capable of having upto 3gb of either pc2100 pc2700 or pc3200 ram.and all that above only cost me about £400 visit the following sites for prices
click here
click here
i have not got a wedsite where you can buy the above mainboard but just do a general search and you will find one no problems

prof

clayton 22:02 23 Mar 03

Asus A7N8X Motherboard click here

2 x 256mb PC2700 DDR Memory

plus the usual drives ect

rev.bem 23:32 23 Mar 03

Not missing the point,which one of the two questions you asked do you want answering?

richard 20:15 24 Mar 03

well, i guess if i'd asked two questions it would be safe to assume I wanted them both answered.....
otherwise i would have either given a multiple choice type question session or just posted one question only ....

wouldn't you agree? (or have I asked too many questions again for you??)

cheers

richard

richard 20:16 24 Mar 03

well, i guess if i'd asked two questions it would be safe to assume I wanted them both answered.....
otherwise i would have either given a multiple choice type question session or just posted one question only ....

wouldn't you agree? (or have I asked too many questions again for you??)

as regards the others kind replies..many thanks i would still be interested in the 'whys' of your particular selections...

cheers

richard

pj123 20:52 24 Mar 03

Go here and click on bundles click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…