Barring junk mail

Yimbo 14:46 01 Dec 10

Having (silly me!) clicked on an email to "win"!! a free iPhone (as if!!) - I am now bombarded with junk mail from umpteen sources. I've done the "unsubscibe bit" in each case, but no notice seems to get taken! Emails still come in. How can I prevent this happening please?

lotvic 15:00 01 Dec 10

"unsubscibe bit" that just makes it worse and you will get hundreds more. It just confirms back that your email address is active and it gets spread around to even more 'senders'

Go to your webmail and login on your mail server and mark as spam on there then your ISP will mark them as spam and gradually the volume will decrease.

For those that get delivered to your pc Inbox - just delete them without opening them.

Yimbo 15:09 01 Dec 10

Didn't realise I was opening the floodgates! I'll do what you say, and see what happens!
Thanks for your post!

Jayar 15:30 01 Dec 10

An alternative.I have used different versions of Mailwasher for around 10 years, and find it excellent - I personally prefer the Mailwasher 6.54 available as freeware from Filehippo than the newer version. Once configured and "educated", it deletes and bounces spam emails prior to opening your email client, so you get only the bona fide emails that you wish to download.
lotvic's advice is very wise - spammers just love that unsubscribe button as it proves that the email address is real and in use.

Yimbo 00:40 03 Dec 10

Thanks for the advice! I'll certainly give it a try!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…