Barebones Laptop

Jsimbaz 01:25 15 Jul 06

Hi, I'm intrested in getting a new laptop for my a-levels, beginning next year. I am quite good with computer hardware and I build computers for people etc.

I was wondering if its possible to buy a 'barebones' laptop and fill it with an HDD, RAM and a CPU (mainly because I don't like the way Dell (etc.) charge hundreds of pounds for 2gb ram or a 120gb harddrive in a laptop.

Thanks in advance guys,

Josh Sims

Jsimbaz 01:38 15 Jul 06

Highest possible graphics card in the barebones... but probably only be able to get an x1400 at best (or whitebox as it's maybe called)

Intel Core Duo T2500 (2.0ghz/667fsb)
2GB DDR2 Memory
120GB SATA 2.5" HDD 7200rpm
DVD-RW

sean-278262 02:09 15 Jul 06

you can buy barebones however the CPU will be fitted. This is due to the fact that it will be nigh on impossible to fit the HS without taking it appart on most machines. However a point I may just point out is that companise such as acer (whos laptop I am typing this on) allow you to upgrade the hdd and ram and if i remember correct the dvd drive in the machine. And as acer and other companies like this are such good value I would recommend them to get the machine of your dreams.

Belatucadrus 10:19 15 Jul 06

You can get barebones laptops from ebuyer click here , but the sum price of the components is likely to be a lot more than buying a complete machine. I fancied the idea, but after I'd looked into it I ended up buying a Dell Inspiron, I couldn't justify spending the extra to go DIY.
If you want to upgrade the RAM, use Crucial click here it's every bit as good as Dell RAM and much cheaper.

Jsimbaz 10:42 15 Jul 06

I'm going to phone Dell and ask them if they would sell me a laptop without HDD and RAM... in which case I might go for the XPS M1210 :P

Josh

ps. thanks for help so far guys :)

spuds 10:47 15 Jul 06

Seeing that Acer laptops are selling at a low price from outlets like Tesco's, I would have serious concerns about self-builds cost and warranty problems.

Jsimbaz 10:49 15 Jul 06

cheers spuds... anyone know of any current offers at tesco or other outlets? My grandmother and her husband brought a basic laptop for peanuts using clubcard-related discounts a while back.

Josh

Stuartli 11:15 15 Jul 06

Cheaper way to get a laptop:

click here

spuds 20:54 15 Jul 06

Tesco's Acer laptop prices, earlier today.

Travelmate Wireless £299.92
Aspire Celeron £499.94
Aspire Centrino Duo Ultimate £599.96

woodchip 20:59 15 Jul 06

Yes you can build as you say, but you are not going to do it on the cheap. As above it will be a lot cheaper pre-built

skidzy 22:02 15 Jul 06

Jsimbaz.. you mentioned Dell earlier,are you aware you can haggle with them.I learnt this on PCA ...and true to there word i received my Lappy at least £75.00 cheaper after upgrading over the phone from the online version.

Thought i would point this out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced