Barclay's bank e-mails

astronomer2 15:42 27 Feb 04

Since yesterday I have had six e-mails purporting to be from Barclay's Bank (which I dont use).

I seem to recall reading something this week about an e-mail scam that lets in a Trojan to capture personal details, bank account numbers and passwords etc. Could this be it? What do I do about it? Obviously I dont open these e-mails but could they still pose a danger?

My Norton AV and Security software is uptodate as of 25 Feb.

Thanks

Chegs ® 16:00 27 Feb 04

I have been getting emails from Nat West,I dont have an account with them,but these emails are stating the person the email is addressed to doesn't work for them.I just delete them,they will stop sooner or later.

Diemmess 16:15 27 Feb 04

I believe that none of the traditional banking names will send an unsolicited email to anyone.
They make a point of this on their sites.

The simple idea is that any email from any bank should be ignored, deleted and treated as an attempt to trick the gullible into parting with confidential information.

astronomer2 16:33 27 Feb 04

Thanks for these responses. I always delete unsoliceted e-mails but are these purporting to be from legitamate banks virus or Trogan infected? Has anyone on the forum experienced problems, in the form of viruses or Trogans, other than these nuisance-mails? No-one in their right mind would deliberately send personal info in response to them.

Stuartli 17:18 27 Feb 04

Banks or financial institutions do not send out e-mails requesting personal information - it's a scam and any received should be instantly deleted.

There have been enough threads on this subject to start a book...:-)

spuds 23:18 27 Feb 04

As Stuartli suggested, banks do not send out emails. This email is an hoax, which as caused serious problems for some of the major institutions. They are fully aware, and if you log on to your own bank/building society, then you may find a security warning posted.

cycoze 00:33 28 Feb 04

Qoute"Phishing attacks involve the mass distribution of 'spoofed' e-mail messages with return addresses, links, and branding which appear to come from banks, insurance agencies, retailers or credit card companies."end qoute , see click here .

The Register click here .

BBC News click here .

cycoze 00:34 28 Feb 04

Quote , Quote , Quote......i play scrabble enough.

Stuartli 14:28 28 Feb 04

Funnily enough I got a "Barclays Bank" e-mail only a few hours after my posting...

Another current one purports to be from MNBA.

They just go the way of the rest of such nonsense. Pity some people can't use their talent more wisely, even if a lot of them are youngsters barely into their teens.

961 14:51 28 Feb 04

I believe a lot of these come from the same crew that offer Microsoft Office for $49 etc and then come back in 6 months to blitz your credit card

It's all Eastern European and Russian and like anything else if it's too good to be true then it is

Most of these scams, if you check on the sites, have been closed down by the Bank concerned long before you get to them

My spam has increased by at least 25% in the past few weeks. It's all deleted by Mailwasher anyway, but I just wonder how much money it's costing the ISPs to provide the bandwidth to cope with it all. I don't cruise Kazaa or anything like that but the system as a whole must be groaning under the strain

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now