Bang!

Nancy166 18:56 11 Mar 08

Hi,
I was using the computer when there was a loud bang and the screen went dead.

The noise didn't come from the screen, more like my feet.

The hard drive is still happily whirring away and doesn't appear to be affected.

Any ideas?

Moll

rossgolf 19:00 11 Mar 08

motherboard blown most probably
was it from the speaker ?

Technotiger 19:02 11 Mar 08

I hope by now that you have switched off the PC. The bang could be attributed to several things, but you, or someone else, will need to open up the case and look inside to see if there is anything obviously wrong - look for burn marks, though you did not mentioned any signs of burning, look for disconnected leads, see if there are any bits on the 'floor' like Fans or parts of Fans, see if there are any broken fans or cards. That's for starters.

chub_tor 19:04 11 Mar 08

Or with a bit of luck just the video card if it is separate. Or part of the power supply? Time to take the case lid of and check for the source of the bang.

HXP 19:07 11 Mar 08

Similar event I had video card went, machine used to boot up by blank screen no bios vga screen no windows !

- only trouble is only way of proving it was order new card.

Unless you have a spare card to try you may be in same position and my machine is older it was hard to find a high end card.

HXP

2bathred 19:09 11 Mar 08

You say the screen went dead but the HDD is still spinning.If it came from near your feet do you have a transformer, that feeds your monitor,on the floor.

Technotiger 19:19 11 Mar 08

2bathred's got a good point there, a transformer certainly could go bang - and if it is just a transformer on the floor, then there is a good chance that nothing else will be damaged.

sinbads 19:42 11 Mar 08

sounds like a capacitor either psu or mother board
should be easy to see

laurie53 19:44 11 Mar 08

"psu "

HDD still spinning?

laurie53 19:46 11 Mar 08

Monitor transformer sounds good - I have one between my feet as I post.

Nancy166 21:22 11 Mar 08

Thanks for all the replies.

By transformers......are they what I call power adapters? Large black boxes with thin cables?

One is connected to the screen, the other cable goes directly into the hard drive from the screen.

I don't know what you mean by HDD spinning. Must admit though the hard drive is ominously quiet!!!!

Functioning but quiet.

There was no smoke, no smell of burning, just the bang.

I don't know where to start!

Thanks

Moll

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…