Bandwidth

Cheno 23:31 19 Sep 08

Hi All,

Just wondering if there is anyway of controlling bandwidth with preferably a free program if possible. I have a belkin router with one wired computer and 2 wireless laptops, one of which is abusing the internet. Can I control this to a sensible level so we can all get fair access?

Any help would be great.

brundle 23:34 19 Sep 08

You can set the router's wireless mode to `b` only to restrict it to 11Mbps, plenty for browsing and email.

Cheno 23:36 19 Sep 08

Thanks for the response, surely 11Mbps is still a very large amount, considering my speed is prob on 2mbps. Bad line I know

mgmcc 23:42 19 Sep 08

The simple answer is "No". There is hardware available to allocate bandwidth to client computers in a commercial network, but it is very expensive and generally beyond what home users would be prepared to pay.

Having said that, I believe *SOME* routers do have a QoS (Quality of Service) configuration that can provide some control, although it may only apply to wired ethernet connections and not to "wireless" ones.

brundle 23:52 19 Sep 08

Yes that's true, though wireless is half-duplex and encryption adds its own overhead so 4-5Mbps is more likely. As mgmcc says, home routers don't often feature very fine control over throughput for individual users.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017