Baffled?

pj123 22:57 28 Apr 04

Just got a computer, PIII 600mhz 256mb ram Win98SE.

Switch on, nothing. Unplug the power socket from the Motherboard and plug back in again. Switch on and boots to Windows desktop. Immediately switches off. Press power switch on the front, nothing. Unplug the power socket from the MoBo plug back in and switch on. Again boots up to the desktop and immediately switches off again. Any ideas please?

Sir Radfordin 23:23 28 Apr 04

Overheating?

Can you stop it booting into Windows and leave it on for a bit just in the BIOS or something and see what happens with the temp?

pj123 23:27 28 Apr 04

Sir Radfordin. Will give that a try but not till tomorrow now.

Rtus 23:50 28 Apr 04

also try unplugging all drives except floppy use w98 disk to boot to see how long it survives then.

woodchip 23:53 28 Apr 04

It may be a faulty switch on the front also check connections from switch to mobo

woodchip 23:54 28 Apr 04

I don't think overheating with a P111 unless the CPU fan as gone but I think you would know quick if it had

pj123 18:06 29 Apr 04

Have got a little bit further. I tried another PSU and it now starts up everytime. But I am now getting this error. Here's the error message I get when booting up:

Windows initializing device VKD:
Windows Protection Error. You will need to restart your computer.

Error: Could not allocate code/patch ram below 4Mbyte boundary. Try reloading SBEINIT.com before SMARTDRV.EXE or minimizing VDISK ram.

I looked up the Windows initializing device VKD on microsoft's website and it tells me that its a keyboard error and it suggests that I unplug and reconnect keyboard or try another keyboard...well, I tried both and no luck.

Any ideas on this please?

Valvegrid 18:20 29 Apr 04

Could it be a faulty keyboard socket? I had this problem on my old computer and had to lift the mobo out and resolder all the duff connections.

pj123 13:42 05 May 04

Sorry, should have said the computer in question has a 20gb Hard Drive C: with only 4gb free space but it also has a 40gb hard drive D: as slave with nothing on it. Have now installed the 20gb hard disk as a slave in my test computer. Run an AVG test on it and found 13 virii? Also ran Norton Disk Doctor and found many Bad Sectors. Looks like the disk is due for the bin and have advised the owner that his best bet is to use the 40gb hard drive as the master and reinstall everything on it, plus a new PSU. Just waiting for him to give me all the original CDs.

woodchip 15:43 05 May 04

Sounds like faulty memoy strip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…