badly need to defrag but unable to, advice please

pupae 19:36 27 Jan 04

my drive badly needs defragging but when i attempt it i am told

"volume (c:) has 25% free space only 6% is available for use by defragmenter. to run effectivley defragmenter needs at least 15% usable free space to before running defragment toy should delete some files or move them to another disc or storage device to increase usable fee space. do you wish to continue and defrag any way"

when i first got the message i uninstalled paint shop pro, all of my old unwanted word files/docs, all the temp and internet files, cookies,about 30 photographs from my documents, i have also uninstalled a couple of other small things from the start menu, i then tried defragment again and got the same message, except i now had 7% free space instead of 6.
does anyone have any suggestions?
i await your learned advice

its win 2000 with office xp on a dell latitude with pentium II

jimv7 19:42 27 Jan 04

Restart the computer tapping the f8 key, choose safe mode, try to defrag in safe mode.

johnnyrocker 19:54 27 Jan 04

disk clean up in system tools?

johnnyrocker.

pupae 20:03 27 Jan 04

tried disc clean up but it gets to for bars and seems to freeze

pupae 22:26 27 Jan 04

that should >say it gets to four bars

hugh-265156 22:31 27 Jan 04

run both cleanup and defrag in safe mode.

VoG II 22:32 27 Jan 04
  ianeon 22:33 27 Jan 04

Download an external "defrag" programme and run that - they can be found in trial prgrammes of things such as System Mechanic & Diskeeper

Either the above or download 'Diskeeper Lite' which runs alot faster and is far more comprehensive than the windows defragmenter.

VoG II 22:35 27 Jan 04

You could try Diskeeper Lite click here

pupae 23:00 27 Jan 04

vog do you know of a download that will fix the registry problem? as i am not confident enough to attempt the edits myself. that includes the f8 safe mode fix i wouldnt have the confidence or know how to get it back if i messed up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…