bad sectors on HD-is this normal?

manicGPz 22:07 07 Sep 03

Hi everyone,
Scanned my disk today,60 Gb, is it usual to have a few bad sectors on a disk of this size after about a year of normal use? I've never had a virus (very careful) and the unit has not been dropped or hit....

Thanks for any advice

LastChip 22:14 07 Sep 03

It is one of those things that you could run the disk for its entire life and never get a bad sector, on others, it happens.

If its only a few sectors, it is not cause for concern.

wee eddie 22:49 07 Sep 03

You only need to worry if the status quo starts to change.

Just check, and possibly print out, the report and the end of every defrag. That will give you an easy way to monitor any changes.

manicGPz 23:25 07 Sep 03

as it happens, i have got a few problems, but don't know if it's got anything to do with these 3 bad sectors (see 'skipping sound and slow' thread)
thanks again.

daba 00:20 08 Sep 03

technically a properly working drive wont create bad sectors that weren't there after manufacture.

If bad sectors start to appear on a HDD that has previously been OK, i would suspect either physical damage (ie. a head crash) or a failing read/write head.

either way i would replace the drive ASAP

Jester2K II 08:36 08 Sep 03

Run a Scandisk with Surface Scan. See if it picks up new bad sectors.

Leave it a week or two and scan again. If more are detected the HDD is failing. Replace.

Else test periodically and keep and eye on it. If more bad sectors are detected then its on its way out...

manicGPz 17:45 08 Sep 03

I'll keep my eye on it, I've never had a disk fail before....?!

Wobby 18:35 08 Sep 03

If its still under warranty I would ask for a replacement from your supplier. Going, going, gone springs to mind.

wee eddie 18:37 08 Sep 03

Just possibly worthwhile getting some sort of copying software or even slaving a new drive as a backup device.

manicGPz 00:17 11 Sep 03

it's a mesh so i'll probably spend the rest of the month trying to get thru on the phone, I've just spent the best part of 3 hours on 3 seperate days trying to contact the software 50p a minute line about another problem ....oh well

jimv7 01:08 11 Sep 03

If you have a cd writer start saving your important files to cd asap.

If not do the best you can with whatever medium you use to save on, except the hard drive, as has been said, replace asap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…