Bad sectors on hard drive

Kypai 13:26 17 Oct 04

Hi there,

We have just got a hard drive off ebay, suposedly workign fine when we bought it.
However upon trying to install xp, the report stops and tells me there is 28bads clusters/sectors...how do i remedy this?

Sturmey 14:25 17 Oct 04

And get a refund if you trust the seller to give you a refund that is, in my experience secondhand hard drives arnt worth it or You could make a startup disc and boot with it then try scandisc from the floppy

Stuartli 14:56 17 Oct 04

This sometimes indicates a hard drive is on its way out. It only needs a knock or rough handling to cause problems.

Hard drives are so cheap these days (I heard of someone getting a brand new Maxtor 120GB model for just £45 the other day) that it's not worth risking possibly dubious buys.

Around £50-£65 should get you an OEM 80 to 160GB drive depending on make, model and specifications; Scan, for instance, offers a wide choice and even a 200GB model is £80 or less:

click here

Sometimes even cheaper on its TodayOnly page.

There's also dabs, e-buyer, Novatech etc.

Cuddles 11:17 18 Oct 04

If you still want to use the drive go to the manufacturers website and download there diagnostics program and zero fill the hard drive.

Kypai 16:12 18 Oct 04

cuddles

Will this get it working then?

Stuartli - Guess I may have to...Doh

Cuddles 17:11 18 Oct 04

By zero filling the drive it writes over any bad sectors with binary code, which then makes the drive useable and should not report any bad sectors.

Smartfish 20:32 02 Nov 04

Apparently there is software that can remove bad sectors.

Does any1 know about this?

Stuartli 14:13 03 Nov 04

There is such software. One example is:

click here

But I would have provided the advice given here:

click here

having had my last drive pack up because of bad sectors.

Smartfish 15:27 09 Nov 04

..but I was looking for a freebie! haha

Anyway, at nearly £80 and not knowing how good it is, will it be worth it?! Unknown company in India...? Have you tried it?

Thanks anyway, 2nd link was helpful too

Stuartli 17:30 09 Nov 04

It was an example, not a suggestion to purchase...:-)

Kypai 10:42 13 Nov 04

I too have concluded thta I tried the recommended apllications, and soem with good results, however it was only inevitable, the HDD has not stopped working...thus making a non-repairable item.

Thanks for your advise, I have a new HDD for less than £38..bargain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…