Bad Sector! What are they and can I get rid of it?

standrewsman 00:14 02 Jun 03

My PC has developed a bad sector - it crashes frequently and everytime I reboot it runs scan disk which freezes too. I have discovered a bad sector - is there anything I can do to get rid of it or is there no answer other than to replace the hard drive? Help would be most appreciated...

Paul

Ironman556 00:20 02 Jun 03

A bad sector is part of the hard drive's writable area which can't be written to. You can try running thorough scandisk and st it to auto repair. If it can't repair or it finds loads more then you're hard drive could be on it's way out.

DieSse 00:22 02 Jun 03

Sounds like the drive is on the way out.

Bad sectors are just that - bad - can't be used. Format/Scandisk might lock them out of use - but it's a sign things are starting to wrong with the drive.

If Scandisk actually freezes, then the drive has become unuseable. Best plan is to get all your data off now, before it's too late.

You could try running the manufacturers diagnostic software (see the appropriate web site), and a "zero fill" - this will set the drive back to totally empty, and test it all over. It may just possibly help, but there's only a slim chance.

Quiller. 00:23 02 Jun 03

If you can get the drive to do a full scandisk in dos, then it should mark the bad sector as unwritable. This should instruct windows to by pass the bad sector. If you can get this far hopefully you should not have problems. I think. lol

I have done this to a few drives with bad sectors and they have functioned correctly afterwards.

Despicable Desperado 01:11 02 Jun 03

Hard drives are tested at the factory and will always have bad sectors. These are marked as such and cannot be written to. If however your drive has started to develop bad sectors then I would suggest a replacement as soon as possible. The drive may last a while longer but it is more than likely it is the head that is starting to fail and the inevitable will happen - total drive failure. Do not ignore this error and hope it will go away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…