bad sector fixer for xp pro hard drive

howard63 21:42 29 Oct 05

does anyone know of a bad sector fixer like the old scandisk that can block off bad sectors for xp.

Stuartli 21:47 29 Oct 05

Either from the hard drive manufacturer's website or:

click here

However it sounds as though the HDD is on its way out and you should be prepared to scrap it after backing up.

howard63 21:51 29 Oct 05

I would agree Stuartli that it is probably on its way out but it is just as a bit of extra space on this old pc for a temporary fix.

woodchip 22:11 29 Oct 05

The Same place as Win98se For scandisk but it just says check for error. You need to reboot the computer for it to work after you click on it. It does the same job as Scandisk

howard63 22:12 29 Oct 05

thanks all I will bin this old drive and put in another one.

Chegs ® 22:36 29 Oct 05

XP auto detects bad sectors,marks them as unusable and ceases trying to put data there.

The nearest to scandisk in XP would be CHKDSK \P or \R(might have the switch wrong way,I usually do /R /P) XP often decides off its own bat,that a drive is defective,and will refuse to format it,etc.

I found this with an old 2Gb HD,it had been running linux happily,yet when I put it in an XP PC,the so-an-so wouldn't complete a format,no matter how many CHKDSK ops I ran on it.I gave up,and stuck it back into a linux PC,it happily continued with this OS,just not with XP.

Stuartli 00:03 30 Oct 05

Hard drives are so cheap these days for the capacity offered that it's not worth risking losing anything of importance.

howard63 09:46 30 Oct 05

thanks for info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…