Bad pool header

nickso 06:20 03 Jan 06

I tried to install an old Sound card to my new PC. After installing the software on the original disc and foolishly ignoring the "may be uncompatible with XP" warnings my sysytem crashes. I changed the BIOS to fail-safe defaults and now Windows loads up incredibly slowly (10min) then all my programs start to load then I get the blue screen with the message "bad pool header" - what can I do to resolve this ?

Diodorus Siculus 09:14 03 Jan 06

Can you boot into safe mode (press F5 at startup) and from there use the system restore to go back to before installation of the sound card?

nickso 09:17 03 Jan 06

Tried to start up in safe mode but just got a screen full of text and nothing else happened

Diodorus Siculus 09:24 03 Jan 06

?HAve you removed the card?

If still there, have you disabled onboard sound?

nickso 09:27 03 Jan 06

I have removed the card now - should I refit & disable onboard sound - if so how ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:00 03 Jan 06

Leave the card out

boot to safe mode and wait ..... there will be a lot of text...... but it will boot eventually to safe mode.

In safe mode use system restore to get back to a date before you fitted the card.

nickso 10:02 03 Jan 06

Thanks - I will try this tonight

nickso 06:30 04 Jan 06

Thanks Fruit bat

Booted to safe mode & restored. PC doesn't crash but is running still painfully slowly. I suspect it may be because I selected failsafe defaults in the BIOS. I am trying now to find out what the factory settings should be

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…