Bad Hard Drive - Noisy & Not Detected By BIOS

Jester2K II 14:45 23 Jun 03

Seagate ST34313A 4.3Gb

Suddenly overnight friends hard drive doesn't work. Bios won't detect it and it makes a noisy grinding sound. Was OK last week - no sound worked ok.

Sound familiar?? I've seen HDD fail over a period of a week or so but not overnight like this... There were no warnings or errors before.

woodchip 15:04 23 Jun 03

Clapped out Bearing Looks like a new one

Jester2K II 15:05 23 Jun 03

Exactly what we though but just funny how it went over night. NO warning... Especially suprised on a Seagate!

Diemmess 15:13 23 Jun 03

On the cheerless basis of "Things can only get worse," assume that the HD is dead and buy its replacement....... (If it went wrong overnight and absolutely nothing was done to upset it)

When a new HD is up and running, try the "dead" one as a secondary drive and extract what you can while you can if it suddnly starts running again.

There are a host of dreadful ways described in this forum to restart a dud disk. Most of them involve some physical "insult" which you would never dream of doing to something slightly off colour, but in a tight spot you have nothing to lose.........Suggest you research the threads and make your choice.

woodchip 15:13 23 Jun 03

But it is a old one. I like Seagate Have got a Barracuda 7200. but Bearing do just Collapse

Jester2K II 15:21 23 Jun 03

try the "dead" one as a secondary drive - tried that already in my PC. Nothing again.

Mate happy to write it off cos it was a free PC 6 months ago. No vital data just internerd really...

Old Cyrix processor too...

Thanks all

Legolas 15:22 23 Jun 03

click here Might not help but quite entertaining.

Jester2K II 15:22 23 Jun 03

Good to hear. I also have 2 Seagates - 60Gb ATA100 7200 and a 20Gb ATA66 5400 plus my first HDD was a Seagate 4.3 Gb as above... My next will also be a Seagate....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…