Bad command or file name.

Zorgalite 15:59 12 Sep 05

Hi, hope someone can help. I have just installed a new cdrw drive to my desktop(P3,450mhz, running win98se), and now every time the computer starts up, in the black screen, i get a measage which starts off with; This driver is provided by Oak Technology Inc. OTI-91X ATAPI CD-Rom Device Driver, Rev. D91XV352 (c) copyright Oak Technology Inc 1987-1997.
Device name: MSCD000, Transfer mode: Programed I/O. No of drives: 2. Then the commands;
C:>Set Blaster=A220 I7 D1 T2
C:>Set SNDSCAPE=C:\windows
C:> (total gobbledegook, which I can't reproduce)
Bad command or file name.
Also, on top of this, I get the windows start up menu comming up every time i start up(ie, menu with the list of options, Normal, Safe mode, step by step, command prompt, etc), and i would really like to get rid of this. I think this last item might be related to me having to start up in safe mode several times, when i had problems with windows failing to start to begin with. Now the computer starts up OK, and running OK, but still concerned about this, and would appreciate any help. Regards.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 12 Sep 05

have you left a 98 boot floppy in the drive?

Zorgalite 16:55 12 Sep 05

No i didnt leave a boot floppy in the drive

ACOLYTE 17:21 12 Sep 05

Im not sure you need all that to be in your configsys/autoexec file at boot,the sound driver is only really needed for dos programs,and is a virtual device so windows should still work without it.There should be an option in the sound card settings in device manager to remove the startup part by unticking it,its been a long time since i had 98 with a soundblaster card but im pretty sure there is an option.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 12 Sep 05

You seem to have a copy of the autoexec.bat program from the floppy on your hard drive rename the file at c:\autoexec.bat to autoexec.old and see what happens when you reboot

Zorgalite 19:25 12 Sep 05

For some reason, I did have a copy of autoexec.bat on my C: drive. Tried to rename it to autoexec.old, but still got the garbled message. Made sure that there was two of this file, and then deleted the new one(which seemed to be corrupted in some way). That got rid of that, and then, went in to system configuration utility, and found that I had selective start up enabled. Changed this to normal, and now starts up without showing the options menu.
All is now good, (for the moment).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…