bad checksum

photo man 18:47 24 Jun 03

HI
I need a little help from my friends.Problem being when I start the computer the messege comes up BAD CHECKSUM. In the bios I find the date is wrong and when I correct it I can start up okay Sometimes I can start up for the next two or three times then I get the BAD CHECKSUM message again.No matter how I try to save the correction before leaving the bios it always reverts to the wrong date again after a few times. HELP

sil_ver 19:03 24 Jun 03

Your BIOS battery is probably U/S that is why the date etc.is wrong

-pops- 19:08 24 Jun 03

sil_ver is almost certainly correct. Replace the battery as soon as you can. It's easy to do but does require opening the case. Have a look at your motherboard manual for details of how to do it if you're unsure.

Brian

photo man 21:31 24 Jun 03

sil-ver and pops tried changing the battry before but had no joy. However must admit it was a battry out of another computer although it had been working okay.I will get a new battry and give it a try

photo man 08:48 25 Jun 03

No luck with a new battery not sure what else I can try

-pops- 08:59 25 Jun 03

Oh!!

You may need to reset the BIOS.

If you have made any adjustments to the BIOS away from standard, make a note of these (if they haven't been lost already) and then reset the BIOS by using the reset jumpers (usually live near the battery) Make sure you replace the jumper to the working position and try again.

One other point is to ensure the battery is in the right way round.

If that doesn't work, I'm stuck. There are others far more expert than me on here so, keep the thread on the top page to allow others to have a look.

Brian

rioboy 10:31 25 Jun 03

photo man what's the make/model of your motherboard?

photo man 11:43 25 Jun 03

All it says on the motherboard is MS5191 VER 1 1 AMC That was in the computer when I bought it secondhand.When I run the system disk the nearest motherboard showing on this is MS5 MICRO ATX AL 14 hOPE THIS MAKES SENSE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…