bad audio

pete h 16:49 28 Jun 07

hya wonder if there are any audio geeks out there. for some unknown reason my audio is really crap. i am using realtek AC97. can anyone help me get it working ok as i am always being told there is a hummmmmmmmmm over the top of me which is louder than my audio or i am too low in volume. i have adjusted my volumes as much as i can but to no avail.

Gongoozler 17:21 28 Jun 07

Hi pete h. Is this a fairly new computer? Is the sound integrated into the motherboard or a plug-in card? You are always being told there is a hum over the top of you. Who is telling you this?

pete h 17:31 28 Jun 07

hya gongoozler and thanks for getting back to me. not its about 3 years old now and it has recently started up. i am told there is a buzz on my sound by people in chat or that its too low.

Stuartli 17:44 28 Jun 07

Realtek AC 97 is onboard sound.

pete h

Are you sure you have the speakers jack plug in the socket with the green collar as it's easy to get it in the wrong socket?

The latest Realtek A400 onboard sound drivers can be downloaded and installed in .exe or .zip form from:

click here

Use Realtek's Sound Man to configure the setup afterwards.

Also check the speaker leads for firm connections.

Gongoozler 17:45 28 Jun 07

Hi pete h. I don't know about chat, but buzz is often caused by bad earthing of the microphone cable, see if you can try a different microphone. The reason I queried the age of the computer and whether the sound is onboard is that earlier implementations of onboard sound were notoriously poor quality and often picked up noises from other motherboard components. I suspect the microphone connector. Try recording a short clip of sound from your microphone -- Start - All Programs - Accessories - Entertainment - Sound Recorder.

Gongoozler 17:54 28 Jun 07

Hi Stuartli, I've only ever come across Realtek AC'97 as onboard, but I didn't want to assume that it's never available as plug in.

pete h 17:58 28 Jun 07

stuartli i cant open any of those sites u put on the links.

Stuartli 18:51 28 Jun 07

The Realtek website downloads can prove to be very slow at times. Here's another link:

click here

Stuartli 18:54 28 Jun 07

It's the most common with Realtek - on the other hand there are numerous PCI sound cards which use the C-Media 8738 and 9738 sound chipsets at remarkably low prices.

I've used the 8738 onboard sound chipset and it proved only very, very slightly inferior to a SoundBlaster Live! replacement.

I took this out of my current mobo and use the Realtek onboard sound now as I needed the PCI slot - again the sound quality is surprisingly good.

Stuartli 18:58 28 Jun 07

AC 97 represents Intel's minimum specifications required from onboard sound chipsets and is updated as and when required. See:

click here

Similar specifications are laid down by Intel for AT, ATX, mATX etc motherboards, PSUs and other components.

Stuartli 18:58 28 Jun 07

AC 97 represents Intel's minimum specifications required from onboard sound chipsets and is updated as and when required. See:

click here

Similar specifications are laid down by Intel for AT, ATX, mATX etc motherboards, PSUs and other components.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…