Backups, Win XP and CD-RW's

xquest 20:37 01 Feb 03

I am having problems writing zipped files to a CD-RW, under Windows XP Home (it uses Roxio software I believe). The zipped folder is apparently written OK but when I try to open the CD after the writing is finished the disk light and the hard disk light both stay on and the system hangs.
I have to erase the disk on another computer (using Roxio Adaptec software) to make it usable again.

The zipped backup files are prepared using Argentum software ( click here )- highly recommended for ease of use in scheduling the automatic writing of backups to the hard disk.

If I set up the Argentum backup program to write normal (not zipped) files then I have slightly more success in that some files and folders are written but it is still very difficult & time consuming to open the CD and look at the contents. On the old desktop the CD opens quite quickly but only shows 27 files having been written instead of the 300 or so files and folders in the original 'My Documents' folder.
On the laptop using Win XP it takes over 20 minutes (yes!) for Explorer to open the CD at the third level of folders: the files never do appear. If I try and copy a folder back to the hard drive I am told

'Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.'.

If I copy a single file (no folders) to the CD it does this quickly, and I can access the file quickly. It also copies it back to the hard drive with no trouble.

Any ideas on what might be wrong ?
Are zip files a no go with CD's ?
Can I only write files and not folders ?
Will it only successfully write (and restore) a single level heirarchy ?
How do I make back ups using Windows XP ?
Is the best solution for maintaining backups an external portable hard disk ?
Regards, xquest

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…