//some 3rd party need geo

Backups - Recommendations

jg1990 16:25 27 May 04

Hi,

I don't regularly backup my data and am not sure how I should go about it.

Currently the My Docs folder weighs in at about 4Gb so obviously backing up to CD-RW/CD-R isn't feasible.

So I was wondering what options are available to me, whether I should purchase any special equipment and where.

Please bear in mind that I'm only 14 years old so it needs to be as cheap as possible.

Many Thanks

James

Gaz 25 16:30 27 May 04

Well its either a DVD burner or an External HDD.

rawprawn 16:32 27 May 04

If you can run to it Acronis True Image 7 is excellent, you don't need any other equipment it will save all of your 4gb to a part of your own hard disc that it will make for you. All you have to do is to press F11 on boot up and everything will be restored. You may need to buy another HD using other methods. I use it and I think it is very good but it would cost about £30. I hope someone can come up with something cheaper for you, good luck.

rawprawn 16:33 27 May 04

Sorry click here

byfordr 16:35 27 May 04

You could always split up your My Documents into smaller folders of under 700mb and burn them across multiple cds. All this would cost you is a little time and under £2 in cdrs. Failing that Hard drives are very cheap at the moment. Or even a cheap DVD burner.

R

Gaz 25 16:36 27 May 04

both expensive options.

jg1990 16:39 27 May 04

Thanks for all your replies.

I have considered buying another hard drive (40Gb+) but as my computer is quite old - bought new in 2000 - it has ATA66 whereas I beleive that modern hard drives are ATA100.

Does anyone know where I can find a cheap ATA66 hard drive.

Many Thanks

James

Mikè 16:49 27 May 04

ATA100/133 hdds are very cheap now, they are backwards compatible.

byfordr 16:51 27 May 04

click here Not particularly cheap though :-(

You may do better to get a cheap controller click here (if your motherboard doesn't support ata100 or ata133)and a better hard drive click here may improve performance as well. Will be £50-£60 for both

R

woodchip 16:55 27 May 04

click here

Take your pic. Me I would go for this, click here

Brian-336451 16:58 27 May 04

You need to look in the MyDocs folder and look at what's actually in there.

There is a tendency to think that all of it is a 'must have', it isn't.

Look at each folder within it and see if you actually 'need' it. Then add up what you want to keep, I bet it doesn't add up to nearly 4 GB.

If you're only 14, then you'll have to 'steal' time and give up some of the fun that you guys have to put the data on Cds - by far the most cost effective means for you.

Most of have never been 14, we started at 40!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…