Backups (again)

€dstow 16:54 24 Jan 03

At risk of terminally boring the regulars, can I make a plea yet again for people to to their backups. Today there is another tale of woe from someone who has lost important information through a virus and has no backup.

Even if you don't have a full system backup, please try to make at least one copy of ANYTHING that you consider valuable - whatever it is.

€d

Sir Radfordin™ 16:55 24 Jan 03

Third time lucky eh!

€dstow 16:58 24 Jan 03

{:-0)

€d

zanwalk 17:03 24 Jan 03

I agree totally, however, the problem is that there are always new users who don't understand the importance of backing up until it is too late. Maybe the solution would be to put a large sticker on every new PC - BACK UP OR ELSE!

powerless 17:22 24 Jan 03

I have various audio files that i do consider "I gotta back em' up" material...

I use two CD-R Discs, Just incase one CD gets damaged etc, i have always the other to rely upon.

I also have pictures, word documents etc that i also backup. These backups are on seperate CD's to the audio files. Again 2 CD's just in case...

I backup once a week but only if i need to, for example i have collected alot of files in the past week so i will be backing up shortly.

However if i have no new files i will not back up.

I dont alter the files in anyway so it does not warrant a backup if nothing has changed.

I'm lucky (i guess) that in 5/6 years of havng a PC i have not had a Hard drive failure etc, so i've no need to go into the backup CD's.

I remember the first time i made a backup it was on 10 Floppy discs. All the folders were "winzipped", all my documents were enclosed.

But there was a point where it was so time consuming, to backup all the files to floppys. So i brought a USB pen drive. 64MB that was ok for about a year, but i had tooooo many files that i wanted to keep and backup so i had to go and get a CD-RW Drive to backup my growing collection.

Dont remember exactly but the Drive speed, it was something like 4x4x2 Slow but it was worth it.

Then came the new PC so popped in the backup CD's and copied the files to the PC. Been making backups ever since. Luckily a faster CD drive 48X *Smile* stupid me goes and buy 4X CD-R dsic but who cares...

As long as a backup is made you'll be ok...

I'm done.

Djohn 17:26 24 Jan 03

€d, I thought the first two post where a subtle hint about loosing info. :o)

€dstow 18:11 24 Jan 03

What happened was that during our Friday meeting the office cleaner came in and moved everything just slightly whilst dusting. This put my keyboard/mouse autopilot in the brain out of sync and where the mouse normally lives was the Enter key. It was only a tiny amount but just enough for my hand to catch the edge of the key and you've seen the result.

Going to the parents for the weekend so I'll close this and say goodnight.

Have a nice weekend.

€d

Djohn 18:14 24 Jan 03

€dstow, you too, see you on Monday, have a safe journey. J.

Style 20:01 31 Jan 03

I am using an Evesham PC with AMD Athlon 805 MHz, 128 of RAM, Samsung Combo SM 304B, WindowsXP Pro,and Roxio's Easy CD creator 5 (Plat).
I have been trying to backup my data using Windows XP backup facility but, although the Backup Wizard dialogue box invites one to choose a destination other than Drive A, the option where one would insert the backup destination remains grayed out and one is asked to insert a floppy. There must be some fault in the software which frustrates the backing up to any other than the A drive. Can anyone help,please?

Style 20:01 31 Jan 03

I am using an Evesham PC with AMD Athlon 805 MHz, 128 of RAM, Samsung Combo SM 304B, WindowsXP Pro,and Roxio's Easy CD creator 5 (Plat).
I have been trying to backup my data using Windows XP backup facility but, although the Backup Wizard dialogue box invites one to choose a destination other than Drive A, the option where one would insert the backup destination remains grayed out and one is asked to insert a floppy. There must be some fault in the software which frustrates the backing up to any other than the A drive. Can anyone help,please?

-pops- 06:45 01 Feb 03

You would be better starting a new thread on this. It will get noticed more if you do that.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…