Backup (Yes more on backup)

Epirb406 20:03 16 Sep 04

Hi all,

Been reading back through a few posts about back ups and am a bit confused.

I got the hang with my win 98 machine and paragon 2000. I could create images on my 2nd hard drive and create a boot disk. Then if 1st hard disk fell over all I had to do was renew the drive, boot from the floppy and restore was almost automatic.

Been seeking a simarly simple solution for XP pro. Does it exist? should I be putting my trust in their bundled solution and will this work in the same way?

Many thanks, sorry to cover familiar ground.

Cheers, Epirb.

Paranoid Android 20:14 16 Sep 04

The priciple is the same except you can't run in DOS, and this limits the programs you can use. I'm a little out of date, but I use Acronis Trueimage for disk-to-disk backups, which can image a hard disk under WinXP without a re-start. I can also recover from scratch using a boot CD, and select individual files or complete system.

My backup disk is removable, and I always pop the drive out when I've finished so no nasty viruses can get at my lovely clean image file.

Whatever you use, make sure you test it by doing a restore. An untested backup solution ain't no good.

Marvin

Epirb406 22:21 16 Sep 04

Only knew paragon worked because I tried it, never needed it!

when you say you use a boot cd, is that your win XP one or one that you make with acronis?

Just experimenting with Ace back up but not sure what that does!

Any more thoughts/ideas?

Cheers, epirb.

Paranoid Android 17:46 17 Sep 04

The boot CD I use is one made using Acronis, it boots and loads Trueimage. Of course, I would only use it for recovery if the system won't boot, other times I just run Acronis in windows. The boot CD allows me to write to NTFS discs as well as FAT32, which is great.

click here

Marvin

Epirb406 19:02 17 Sep 04

thanks for responses.

looks like acronis?

shame cos paragon was free!

cheers, epirb.

Epirb406 19:41 01 Apr 05

Thats my news on that one!

Hope it OK cleaning up me posts all at once!

Cheers, Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…