Backup in XP

Nero6 20:20 01 Apr 05

In the May issue (delivered in March) of PC Advisor there is a feature entitled Better backups.
The writer recommends a two-part approach to system backup.
First create an image file of your boot drive and then protect your data regularly using traditional backup.
Can someone please explain why it is necessary to use a backup as well as creating an image.

woodchip 20:27 01 Apr 05

Image will get the computer back up and running unless there is a hardware problem. a backup is just that! of your updated personal files not the entire system

Paranoid Android 20:32 01 Apr 05

The idea is that a full immage takes some time to create, and most users will not want to spend that amount of time every day. Daily backups of data files only are much quicker, especially if you use an incremental system.

Personally I take an image every friday to removable HDD using Acronis - this serves as a disaster recovery tool (it can be booted from CD) but also allows me to recover individual files or folders in an Explorer-like view. My system is not mission-critical enough to warrant daily backups.

Marvin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…