Backup work laptop to home PC

Soapy-77 08:22 26 Apr 03

Please help - I am sure this is very simple, but then, so am I.

I want to backup files on my work laptop (Win 2000 professional) to my home PC (Win XP home). Both have network cards and I have a cross-over ethernet cable. I plugged the cable into both and managed to ping each machine from the other. However, I cannot figure how to view the files from one to the other or set up a sharing relationship as they do not seem to recognise each other (apart from the ping), even when I allow specific folders to be shared using the Sharing tab. The connections wizard has not been much help in this respect either. Both machines have firewalls (which I have disabled)

Please can somebody point me in the right direction to a step-by-step guide, or post one here. It will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Forum Editor 08:35 26 Apr 03

Using a direct parallel cable connection in Win2000 and WinXP.

1. Open Network Connections.

2. Under Network Tasks, click Create a new connection, and then click Next.

3. Click "Set up an advanced connection", and then click Next.

4. Click "Connect directly to another computer", click Next, and then do one of the following:

a)If you want the computer to act as the host (this computer contains the information you need to access), click Host.

b)If you want this computer to act as the guest (this computer accesses information on another computer), click Guest, and then click Next.

5.In "Device for this connection", click "Direct Parallel (LPT1)" and then click Next.

6.Follow the remaining instructions in the Network Connection Wizard.

AndySD 08:36 26 Apr 03

A few questions first.....

Is this laptop set so that it plugs into a Network at your workplace?

Do you have Administrator privalages on the laptop?

Just to be on the safe side does your contract of employment allow this as if not you could be endangering you job. (not that it will stop us helping you)

Soapy-77 08:37 26 Apr 03

Thanks - can I do this with the cross-over RJ45 cable that I already have?

My home PC (bizarely) does not have a serial port.

Regards

Soapy-77 08:39 26 Apr 03

Andy
In answer to your questions:

Yes, the laptop does plug into my place of work.
I will need to check on Administrator privilages.
I should also check my contract I guess!

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…