Backup using a second PC

paultheviola 15:38 23 Feb 07

I bought a Dell PC before Christmas and have been having a few problems with it lately. The latest was with the DVD Drive which it turns out has a corrupted driver. Dell sent an engineer out today to replace the Drive, but he reckons the whole Operating System needs reinstalling. Before this can be done I need to back all my files to disc so I can reinstall them all afterwards.

I have a friend who has a laptop so I'm assuming I can transfer my files to her laptop (via USB?) and then burn them onto a DVD. Can anyone fill me in on the details of how I go about this? My total files take up about 23GB. I use MS Windows XP Media Centre edition.

Jackcoms 16:02 23 Feb 07
  FreeCell 12:15 24 Feb 07

You wouldn't be able to connect your PC and the laptop by USB and transfer data. You woulod need to network the two together. Jackcoms is suggesting you purchase an external hard driv that you could connect via USB to your PC and then back up you personal files to this. A sensible approach and you would then have a way of maintaining back up copies of your data in the future.

Remember to back up things like Favories and all email files.

jhm 13:21 24 Feb 07

Agree with Freecell-an external HD is a great option. Use to store backups and large fiolders like pics. Dirt cheap now-£79.99 for 350GBs at a well known retailer.

Belatucadrus 14:21 25 Feb 07

"You wouldn't be able to connect your PC and the laptop by USB and transfer data"

Can be done with a USB data transfer cable click here

FreeCell 12:16 26 Feb 07

Apologies. You learn something everyday! You can connect PCs via USB, but backup drive has longer term usefulness.

paultheviola 00:01 27 Feb 07

Thanks to you all for your advice - I've decided to go with the External Hard Drive option and have ordered a Western Digital My Book 250GB Essential USB 2.0 External Hard Drive from Amazon - price £58.99.

This will be plenty of space for all my files - for many years to come hopefully!

Thanks again....

paultheviola

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5