Backup and Upgrade

SonnyB 11:36 30 Nov 06

I have had my pc for three years and there is a large amount of data and software plus of course all my settings for router, printer, scanner and a lot of other things accumulated over time. In short it would take me a long time to get all this stuff onto a new pc.
Therefore, I have just bought an external hard drive and backedup my entire hard disk.
My question is, if I bought a new pc, would I be able to transfer the contents of my backed up hdd onto the new pc so that all software and settings are as per my original machine.
Thanks,

terryf 11:45 30 Nov 06

Short answer - no because the os would not recognise the new hardware

terryf 11:46 30 Nov 06

PS that is the os from the old machine would not recognise the hardware on the new machine

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 30 Nov 06

NO
not unless new machine is exactly same spec as old.

Cloning drive back onto new machine means drivers for motherboard etc. will be wrong and machine would probably not boot.

Windows file and transfer wizard will allow you to put all your favourites and destop settings onto your new machine, but programs will have to be reinstalled from scratch and documents pictures etc. transfered over.

Driver back up from click here will allow you to copy the drivers to a folder then use that to install devices on new machine.

summary
1. use windows file and transfer wizard to copy setting to a file
2. save drivers to a folder
3. put old HDD drive in a external caddy and connect to new machine
4. run transfer wizard to move settings over
5. install devices ad point windows to the driver folder when needed
6 copy your picture and documents over as required
7. install your programs from the install cds/ disks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac