backup two laptops onto external hard drive?

pepper61 23:46 21 Apr 06

my son and i each use a 40gig laptop. his laptops dvd drive is not working and has to return it to base. we want to backup his hard drive which has about 19gig used up and about the same on mine.
could we buy an external hard drive and separately backup both machines to the same hard drive? if so what would we need to do to keep the data separate? awhat program to use? and should we get enough space for grandfather/father/son backups?

Strawballs 23:56 21 Apr 06

If you are both useing XP pro (or home if you install the backup utility from the disc) You can use the backup in programs > accesories > system tools > backup you plug the external HDD into one machine and chose it as the destination for the backup then do the same with the other machine and do the same but giving it a different name and it will create 2 different backup files and when restoreing make sure that you use the correct file.

pepper61 00:03 22 Apr 06

thanks. strawballs. that seems simple enough. but what about subsequent backups? over-write or ensure a big enough hard drive to do another back up?

Strawballs 21:01 23 Apr 06

If you are backing up the same thing with extra's then just overwrite

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…