Backup Strategy

johnincrete 16:45 26 Sep 08

MyDocuments is just over 10GB. Very little changes in each day. Prefer not to split it. Want to backup in the simplest way. Best to external device because there is a laptop that can be used in emergancy although tere is a big enough second internal drive.
I've seen 16GB Flash Drive for £26 and portable disks about 3 times as much. What is the speed of copying likely to be with each type of drive?
It would be good to copy all MYDocuments with automatic replace and shut down PC when finished so could be left running after work.

peter99co 19:47 26 Sep 08

It was recommended to me on this Forum

click here

Use with external drive.

DieSse 00:33 27 Sep 08

An external drive, and a backup program such as Acronis True image has a number of advantages.

Once in a while image you whole drive - for total security in case of disaster.

In between image just the changes for speed.

You need external drive capacity to accomplish the first - and it does equally well for many multiples of the second.

wee eddie 07:11 27 Sep 08

A question about Incremental Back-ups.

If someone accidentally, or intensionally, "Deletes a file", does the Incremental Back-up "Delete" it as well?

Depending on the answer ~ There will be Supplemental Questions.

DieSse 10:13 27 Sep 08

An incremental backup does not affect previous backups. That's why they're backups.

What you're alluding to is synchronisation, which is a different thing for a different purpose.

DieSse 10:20 27 Sep 08

However - images I'm not so sure about - logically images should, on a full restore, be updating the initial image of the drive to it's latest state - otherwise it wouldn't really result in an up-to-date image.

But of course all interim images would normally still be available on the image medium as individual files, and so individually explorable for recovery purposes.

I've only ever recovered accidentally deleted information from a full Acronis image (a Thunderbird folder). Never had occasion to try it in other circumstances.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…