Backup software for Windows 98

Christopher Lewis 12:15 18 Aug 05

I'm running Windows 98 and using the Microsoft backup program. I've finally reached the point where my weekly backup fills most of a CD, and even that requires carefully selecting the files. Microsoft backup doesn't support disk spanning.

Can anyone recommend backup software that can
i) run scheduled backups
ii) do disk spanning
iii) won't overwrite existing files on the CD without asking for confirmation

I'm having difficulty finding a program that does all three, with Windows 98

Christopher

DieSse 13:56 18 Aug 05

Acronis True Image should do all the things you want - it's highly recommended by many here - I use it myself. click here

You can download a free trial - see the download button - and you can find it on sale from many places for around £20 or less.

You intimate you are backing up to CD-RWs - is so, this is not recommended, as they are not as reliable as CD-Rs - and the very last thing to do is to back up to a less than great medium.

You might also consider getting a detachable USB hard drive to backup to - you can then write a complete disk image to it - this provides very good security, plus the simplest recovery scenario possible.

Batch 15:13 18 Aug 05

I move older stuff to an archive folder and burn these to CD for posterity. Then the regular backups from the main folders are much smaller and quicker.

BTW, MS Backup doesn't do a very good job of compression. Unless you move to something like Acronis True Image, you might find WinZip click here does a better job, but you'll need the Command Line add-on to do scheduled backups (effectively creating a dos batch file script).

Christopher Lewis 16:12 18 Aug 05

DieSse - thanks for the response. I do indeed use a USB hard disk, and keep an image of my System drive on it. As you say, simple disaster recovery.

I can't easily use that for my weekly files - since they are from several different pertitions (for tedious reasons).

Christopher Lewis 16:16 18 Aug 05

Batch - thanks for your answer. The compression problem is not really an issue, since the space hungry files I want to protect are mainly JPEGs.

I'll give your archiving idea some thought, that may be the best way to go.

Batch 11:49 19 Aug 05

You might like to note that MSBackup's .QIC files are not industry standard (WinZIP can't handle them) and you could be storing up problems if you want to retrieve things in years to come under a later OS (e.g. WinXP).

MSBackup was installed as standard on Win98 (plus, to my knowledge, was not separately installable from the CD, only via Windows Setup). With WinME, it was a distinct separate add-on. I doubt if it's even supplied with WinXP (and will it even run under WinXP - anyone like to comment?).

griffon 56 12:42 19 Aug 05

Hi C L, Running Win98SE I use 'Briefcase' to contain all material I want to backup, then burn it in duplicate to CD-RW.

'Briefcase' shows which files and folders have changed, so you can go into them and refresh your memory before updating, and you don't miss any which is always a problem when using many different folders between backups.

Christopher Lewis 13:11 19 Aug 05

Batch - yes, I've been looking at file formats overnight. As you say, the .QIC files are in a proprietary format. I've looked at the backup program in WinXP - also a proprietary format, now called .BKF ! They don't make it easy do they?

Since backed up files are usually required when things are not running smoothly, I'd like to avoid potential difficulties.

So, to add to my list of requirements iv) must be able to save in native format, or standard WinZip for compression.

I've been going through the stack of magazine cover disks - I've got Genie 4.0 and Ace Backup 2004. I'll check them out...

Batch 16:09 19 Aug 05

If I recall correctly, you can download an evaluation copy of WinZip. After the evaluation period has expired, you just get a nag box each time you start it up. But if you want to schedule backups, you need the Comamnd Line interface and this won't work with the evaluation licence, you need to be a registered user.

Procrastinus 16:34 19 Aug 05

I use Norton Ghost and clone the entire C drive to a second HDD. Works very well and I have had to use the second HDD 'in anger' as a fault developed on the C drive, by swopping the master/slave pins and then recloning a new C drive complete with OS.

Christopher Lewis 12:05 23 Aug 05

Geniesoft Backup Manager seems to do all the things I want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…