Backup software for external HD

phil.smith 18:38 12 Jan 07

Can anyone recommend software (free or otherwise) which will allow full backup of my hard drive to a new Seagate external hard drive please?

Thanks

Phil

VoG II 18:43 12 Jan 07

Acronis click here or Ghost click here

phil.smith 18:48 12 Jan 07

Thanks VoG

I have a coy of Acronis 7.0 - will this do the job? I have read that there may be problems when/if I came to trying to do a full restore from Acronis.

Phil

rawprawn 19:39 12 Jan 07

I think that you will be OK on an external HD, but I have just had problems trying to use Acronis 7 on a SATA drive. (It would not recognise the HD) Acronis TI 9 had no such problems. There is one thing you can do which costs nothing, Test It!
If it doesn't work upgrade to TI 9, would be my recomendation.

rawprawn 19:41 12 Jan 07

PS. I should have said that Acronis 7 said it had successfully completed the backup, it wasn't until I tested it that I found it wouldn't work, so test it.

phil.smith 10:05 13 Jan 07

Thanks for the advice rawprawn - will do.

Phil

vinnyT 10:59 13 Jan 07

TI8 works with sata, also.

Wak 11:07 13 Jan 07

There's also the FREE program XXCOPY (for Win 98/ME)from click here and XXCLONE (for Win XP) from click here
I've used the XXCOPY for nearly four years now with no problems whatsoever.

phil.smith 15:34 13 Jan 07

Thanks Wak will give it a try.

Wak 16:10 13 Jan 07

Have just checked the above sites and it would appear to me that the latest version of XXCLONE now covers ALL Windows Systems from 98 to XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…