Backup Software

almerablue 16:02 10 Feb 11

Can anyone recommend a good backup software program, I have looked at Norton Ghost Ver 15 and Acronis Trueimage 2011, these appear to be the main ones but there seems to be for and against on both packages. I have tried Windows backup and have not found it very user friendly, I am using Windows 7. Any help would be appreciated.

Bris 16:13 10 Feb 11

Acronis is very popular and considered to be one of the best. What are your concerns?

almerablue 16:20 10 Feb 11

When I have read reviews on both products, there has been concerns on backups failing and general problems after installation.

rawprawn 16:39 10 Feb 11

Acronis has saved my bacon many times over the years, I am running Acronis Trueimage 2011 at present and would highly recommend it.

Bris 16:44 10 Feb 11

I have used TrueImage for a number of years and have had no problems with it but understand your concerns. I guess a few others will come on board with their experiences that may enable you to make a decision.

almerablue 16:47 10 Feb 11

There does seem to be a lot of positive comments from you and rawprawn so maybe that is the way to go, reviews can be conflicting with opinion. Thanks for your comments.

almerablue 16:52 10 Feb 11

I have just found a backup software package called Comodo backup, it is free. Has anyone used this and if so was it reliable.

961 17:03 10 Feb 11

I can thoroughly recommend Genie Timeline after having struggled for years with Acronis

There is a free version but I suggest you try the 30 day free trial of the home version

click here

So Afraid 17:11 10 Feb 11

This is another free one

click here

GaT7 17:19 10 Feb 11

Macrium Reflect (So Afraid's suggestion) is supposed to be good for a free one (although they do have a paid-for edition as well). A few guides that you may find useful click here, click here & click here.

But unfortunately no backup method is fail-safe.
That's why most of my backups are done via the old-fashioned copy+paste ;-). How often does that fail? G

almerablue 17:24 10 Feb 11

Thanks for all your replies, I have a lot to work with now, I will look at the links you have sent me and make a decision. I also like the copy and paste option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…