backup and restore wizard

maarraa 23:04 08 Nov 04

windows sp2 suggested backing up data prior to installing sp2. all my reading tells me my windowsxp home edition should have the backup and restore wizards. however i can't find it anywhere! i have tried start, all programs, accessories, system tools - whereupon i should find backup - BUT not in my case! i wanted to backup the data on to cds. there was also mention about "if wizard disabled then click on welcome tab then choose restore wizard"- sorry cant find it. can anyone explain. should i have it? do i need to down load it etc? the windowsxp home edition came installed in the computer when i bought it from evesham 2 years ago. thanks

VoG II 23:09 08 Nov 04
  Carpigiani 23:10 08 Nov 04

If you don't have the Windows XP CD /click here

woodchip 23:14 08 Nov 04

It may not be installed, Go to Add Remove in Control Panel and load it through the Windows Setup icon. It's not much use other than if you have another Hard Drive or Partition that you can Restore from

maarraa 23:21 08 Nov 04

what do i do if ican't find the cd-rom?

woodchip 23:26 08 Nov 04

You would be better going out and buying Acronis True Image, you can then backup to CDRW or CDR you cannot do that with MSBACKUP

spider9 08:49 09 Nov 04

I was told that I could do a backup to CD using XP home backup facility if I first did the backup to Desktop, then burned that to CD. However, (isn't there always!), when the backup was done it said some files had been 'skipped'. When I attempted to 'open' the file on the desktop I just get the box saying "Windows cannot open this file...etc".
I am a novice, and wonder what is going on here? Any non-jargon help for an old buffer?

woodchip 15:52 09 Nov 04

MS backup creates one big backup file that you cannot split. i.e. it will not fit a CD. You cannot create a backup to the same partition,unless you create a folder on that partition and tell backup not to backup that folder.

spider9 23:53 09 Nov 04

Thanks woodchip,
I'm sure I should follow all that, but I'm sorry to say it lost me!!I will stick with simply choosing the files and burn them onto CD, as I have been doing, I think. When partitions are mentioned this old man's eyes glaze over Maybe time to call it a day and return to a world I understand...?
Thanks anyway.

woodchip 11:30 10 Nov 04

Get "Acronis True Image" from PCworld and you can create a Image of your disc as it is now, onto several CD's then if you have any problems you can restore your computer to the state that it is when you created the Image. You only then have to do incremental backup as you have just said above. But the Image can get you out of problems, like if you get a virus or Software problems, you can then restore your computer fully as above in about 15mins

spider9 08:19 11 Nov 04

Thanks again woodchip, sounds like exactly what is needed, will look into it straight away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…