Backup and restore no longer works

Marg114 22 Jan 13

I have a Windows 7 Aspire 5750G Laptop. Yesterday I installed a new Font that I inadvertently installed a toolbar with it. I can't remember the name of the programe, but when I tried to uninstall it, it wasn't there, so I tried to restore my laptop to an earlier date, now nothing works. All I get is The backup and restore application could not start due to an internal error: Class not registered (0X80040154). can someone help please.

SillBill 22 Jan 13

AdwCleaner will uninstall unwanted toolbars

northumbria61 22 Jan 13

Try this -

Type cmd in the search bar and press enter.

On the command prompt type chkdsk and press enter.

If it finds any errors, type chkdsk /f to repair them.

SillBill 22 Jan 13

A link would have helped!! > http://adwcleaner.soft32.com/

northumbria61 22 Jan 13

Marg114 - note that SillBill's response is how to remove unwanted toolbar.

My response is to the error number you have given Class not registered (0X80040154)

john bunyan 22 Jan 13

I cannot vouch for this link - do check it is ok!

Error fix

Before that I would run Malawarebytes or Superantispyware, if you have them, to check for malaware. A link to Malawarebytes:

Malawarebytes

northumbria61 22 Jan 13

john bunyan - WOT doesn't like the Error Fix site for me - all red - don't know what it is like for you?

Marg114 22 Jan 13

Hi when I typed in cmd I got this: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode

Marg114 22 Jan 13

Hi when I typed in cmd I got this: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode

john bunyan 22 Jan 13

Northumberland

I had not checked it - sorry. Therefore, Marg 114, do not use it!

northumbria61 22 Jan 13

Marg114 - Type cmd in the search bar and press enter.

On the command prompt type chkdsk and press enter.- to run in elevated mode right click on cmd and select Run as Aministrator.

If it finds any errors, type chkdsk /f to repair them.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4203735/backup-and-restore-no-longer-works/#ixzz2Ij96e58q

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Microsoft claims its new VR lens system is better than Oculus Rift's

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message