Backup before rebuild

Rodz 12:11 17 Mar 10

Hi,
Before rebuild is it sufficient to right click my documents and copy it to my Iomega external hard drive.
I have Sky Mail so that bit is not a problem.
Is there a way to copy "my favourites" without having to do it manually?
Thanks guys
Rodz

isca2 13:47 17 Mar 10

What browser are you using ? If Firefox, click on Bookmarks, Then click Organise Bookmarks, then select the Import/Backup option at top of dialog box. You can then save to your backup destination for future importing back again.

If Internet Explorer, the following is on the help pages..
---------------------------------------------
Import or export favorites in Internet Explorer
Favorites, also known as bookmarks, are a convenient way to organize and link to webpages that you visit frequently.

To export favorites

Follow these steps on the computer that you're exporting your favorites from.

Open Internet Explorer.
Click the Favorites button, click the arrow next to the Add to Favorites button, and then click Import and Export.
In the Import/Export Settings dialog box, click Export to a file, and then click Next.
Select the Favorites check box, and then click Next.
Select the folder that you want to export your favorites from, and then click Next.
By default, Internet Explorer creates a file called bookmark.htm in your My Documents folder. If you want to use a name other than bookmark.htm or to store the exported favorites in a folder other than My Documents, specify the new file and folder name.
Click Export. If you already have a file by the same name, Internet Explorer will ask you to replace it. Click Yes if you want replace the file or click No and type a new file name.
Click Finish.
To import favorites

Follow these steps on the computer that you want to import your favorites to.

Open Internet Explorer.
Click the Favorites button, click the arrow next to the Add to Favorites button, and then click Import and Export.
In the Import/Export Settings dialog box, click Import from a file, and then click Next.
Select the Favorites check box, and then click Next.
By default, Internet Explorer imports from a file called bookmark.htm in your My Documents folder, but you can tell it to import favorites that are saved under another name. Click Browse and select a file, or type a location and file name to import, or click Next to accept the default.
Select the folder where you want to place the imported favorites, and then click Import.
Click Finish.
Notes

To share or move favorites from one computer to another, export or copy the Bookmark.htm file to a disk or flash drive. You can then import your favorites from the disk or flash drive to the new computer.
To print your list of favorites, open Bookmark.htm in Internet Explorer and then click the Print button .

Rodz 14:12 17 Mar 10

Iscanut,
Thanks for that.
I have printed the instructions to make it easier to follow, us amateurs eh!
Thanks again
Rodz

Jollyjohn 14:32 17 Mar 10

Before you start ensure you have all the necessary drivers for the motherboard, gfx card,printers etc.....

Rodz 16:03 17 Mar 10

Thanks JollyJohn,
Use IE 8 did what Iscanut said and have saved my favourites to my IOMEGA drive.
Cheers
Rodz

Pineman100 16:01 18 Mar 10

As Jollyjohn has said, it's advisable to ensure that you have all the necessary driver disks for all your components and peripherals before you start the rebuild.

Or, save yourself a great deal of hassle and use Drivermax to save all your drivers to a CD before you rebuild. Then after your rebuild you can just reinstall Drivermax, which will then reload all the drivers from the CD. You will, of course, have to exclude those for any components that you have replaced.

Note that Drivermax is a driver exchange community, so if you have a driver that someone else needs, you may be asked to share it.

click here

Rodz 17:25 18 Mar 10

Thanks Pineman,
Didn`t know that software existed.
But do now and have registered with them.
I will have some help with the rebuild as it`s my first one, no doubt not my last.
Thanks again.
Rodz

ronalddonald 18:08 18 Mar 10

have Acronis you could clone the drive.

Rodz 20:53 18 Mar 10

Thanks for that.
Rodz

Pineman100 16:52 20 Mar 10

ronaldonald is absolutely right. However, the only problem with using a clone image to transfer your system to a new drive is that you also transfer all of the crap from the old system.

The great joy of a newly installed system is that it's free from the rubbish that Windows accumulates as it ages.

If I were doing what you are, I would definitely go for a clean new installation, and then copy my data across from the old drive.

Rodz 17:04 20 Mar 10

Thanks for that, I am having help with this.
Doesn`t seem very daunting but I wouldn`t risk it without help.
Thanks again
Rodz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…