BACKUP PRORAM RECOMDATION PLEASE?

EARLR 14:33 14 Jul 05

I use my laptop as a desktop and have purcased a external hard drive . I am looking for a backup program that backup my C drive at regular intervals.
Laptop is TARGA traveler 850 XP Home SP2.80 GB hd.
external HD is targa DataBox 250 GB.
I would also like to backup another laptop to the same drive.

Any recomdations ?

Jackcoms 16:58 14 Jul 05

What's wrong with the back-up utility which comes with XP?

mattyc_92 18:36 14 Jul 05

If you wish to backup EVERYTHING on your laptop (including operating system, personal files and other programs installed), then you could try Norton Ghost from click here or use Acronis True Image from click here

I personally prefer Acronis (and so do many of the members of this forum), but Norton Ghost also has it "die-hard" fans.

PS. You can download a FREE trial of Acronis from the link I have included above

EARLR 22:28 14 Jul 05

what backup utility is that i cant find it ?

SANTOS7 22:33 14 Jul 05

XP home does not have one it was removed, But
Hidden deep in the recesses of the Windows XP Home Edition CD lies the actual installation program that you need to put the Backup Utility on your computer. Simply insert the XP CD, and run NTBACKUP.MSI (it might look like just "Ntbackup") program from the folder D:\Valueadd\msft\ntbackup where D: is the letter of your CD drive. This will launch the Windows Backup Utility Installation Wizard, which will install the utility automatically. When it is finished, click "Finish."

VoG II 22:34 14 Jul 05
  Pooke 22:42 14 Jul 05

"XP home does not have one it was removed, But Hidden deep in the recesses of the Windows XP Home Edition CD lies the actual installation program that you need to put the Backup Utility on your computer."

Can I ask why MS did this?

Is worth digging out the disk to install?

Appologies for jumping in on this thread EARLR.

Pooke

EARLR 23:04 14 Jul 05

Wouldn't it be easer to use tru image or norton ?

VoG II 23:06 14 Jul 05

That depends on whether you want to create an Image or a Backup - different animals.

EARLR 23:08 14 Jul 05

WHAT'S THE DIFF.

Danoh 23:47 14 Jul 05

Image backups takes a copy of the whole hard drive or partition, generally speaking. Backup utilities targets individual folders, files, etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…