Backup prior to Format and Reinstall

BGS 13:59 13 Nov 03

I am about to Backup my system prior to Formating and Reinstalling XP.
All my Software came Pre-installed on my ME system before i upgraded to XP therefore i do not have any software CDs.
Will formating completely remove all my Software ie Word,Adobe Acrobat etc.If this is the case how can i protect these?
I have XPs own NT backup installed.Will this safeguard my software?
i will be gratefull for any ideas.

Terrahawk 14:04 13 Nov 03

a format will erase all data on your disk also if your xp is an upgrade disk you will need the ME disk a qualifying media

alcudia 14:12 13 Nov 03

Is your ME disc a full version or an OEM recovery disc that just has a ghosted version of your O/S and installed programs. If so this will not work as qualifying media, and you must first use it to replace ME, and then run the XP upgrade. This way you will also preserve all of the supplied programs. However it is strange to find Word pre-installed. Did you not get a disc for this?

You should also be aware that if you have changed any hardware on your PC, eg graphics or sound card etc. and you do have a vendors recovery disc, the disc will probably not work.
I have just had this problem after replacing the hard drive. Most of these discs veryfy your system before running. If anything is different they will hang. Fortunately I had an old Win98 cd and so got round it.

woodchip 14:57 13 Nov 03

You cannot backup programs without backing up the entire Drive including OS so it looks as if you are stuck. Its One or the Other you lose every thing and clean drive and reload OS but have to buy all the software XP will not work unless it’s a full version

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…