Backup Personal Documents To External Hard Drive

Shikaree 19:45 01 Sep 10

Hi Folks,

I have a Seagate Expansion External Hard Drive - 500GB. No Software came with it. It says Plug & Play. Drag & Drop to save Files.

I would like to Backup all my Personal Data, like all my Personal Documents and Pictures I have scanned into my computer.

If I Drag & Drop Documents/Files from my Hard Drive - Partitioned as G - My Personal Documents - to this External Hard DRive will I loose it from there in my main hard Drive Or will it still remain there.

Please HELP and Advise.

Thanks

Shikaree

compumac 19:47 01 Sep 10

Select files/folders. Copy and paste to external drive. Originals remain in place.

The Kestrel 20:00 01 Sep 10

If your operating system is Windows Vista or 7, there is a built in back up program. In programs go to 'Back up and Restore'. When you first back up you choose your external drive as the destination. In addition, you can then schedule your PC to back up your files on a regular basis.

mgmcc 20:31 01 Sep 10

Standard Windows behaviour is:

Drag & drop to a different drive will *COPY* the files.

Drag & drop to the same drive will *MOVE* the files.

Pressing 'Shift' while dragging & dropping will reverse the Copy/Move behaviour.

Shikaree 20:48 01 Sep 10

compumac, The Kestrel, mgmcc,

Thanks for the Prompt replies. Sorry!! I should have mentioned my OS. It's Windows XP Pro.

I have about 31GB on my Partion 'G' All Personal files. It will take a long time to do.

I have another Seagate External Hard Drive - FreeAgent - but that's used with BounceBack Launcher Software. I don't want to use this as I wish to connect it to my iMac as & when needed to work with - Via USB. With this I have to BackUp.

MAJ 21:28 01 Sep 10

I use a batch file to backup my Documents folder to an external drive, you could modify it to copy across whatever you wish.

xcopy /e /v /y C:\users\MAJ\Documents G:\docbackup

The Kestrel 22:20 01 Sep 10

OK, I have found that there is a back up program in Windows XP that you can use. click here for information on how to find and use this program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced