Backup of network folders and subfolder systems

farnaby 14:23 04 Sep 03

If I wanted to move (archive) files from our File Server, which has last been accessed for two years, and burn them to CD in identical directory structures - for ease of use for our users - how could I do it?
A tape streamer backup will not the answer, as I will be plagued with repeated requests to restore these files - far easier to give a user a CD copy and allow them search for a certain file themselves ..
A Find "Files or Folders" search based on a certain Date criteria in Windows, lists the files together with the Folder in which they are found. The problem arises howvever when moving these files to CD disk - it appears that they do not retain their full path or subdirectory structures - rather, the files are moved into one long list in the target drive's root directory. This may cause problems with files which have identical names being moved into this type of list.
I have thought of compressing the above date query search results, using a utility like Winzip (which allows the including of subfolders and additional folder information) , and then extracting the subsequent compressed file to a CDWriter - which does appear to work!
I was wondering whether subscribers have any better (and simpler) ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…