Backup files in a partition

Marchmont 14:48 14 Aug 03

I am about to reformat a PC for a friend and wondered if I am right about what I think I will do with data that is already on the HDD and she wants to keep.

The C drive has no additional partitions allocated. it is all 100% C drive.There are files on the C drive that I need to backup.
I think the right way to do this would be to add a partition to the HDD (about 20% of HDD total capacity and I'll call it the P drive for the sake of clarity) into which I can transfer the C Drive backup. I could then format the C drive (the P drive would be untouched.)
I could then load the OS (win2000) and then transfer the files back onto the new C drive. I could then merge the partitions back together into one big C drive or leave the partition for the next time I have to do this.

I propose to use Partition Magic for this task.

The PC has no CDRW fitted and only one HDD so back up via those means is a no go.

Your thoughts would be appreciated as ever!

crimbo 15:15 14 Aug 03

If she has Win XP, you could use the files & settings transfer wizard, backing it up to the new partition, and then reverse the process once you have reformatted C

Jester2K II 15:19 14 Aug 03

If the space can be afforded i would leave the backup partition and set up EasyBackitup click here (or similar program) to backup My Docs etc to the 2nd partition.

Marchmont 15:28 14 Aug 03

The PC currently has Win 98 and I am doing a clean install of Win2000

Marchmont 15:30 14 Aug 03

Jester that is a great idea
The link was useful
Many thanks

xania 20:37 14 Aug 03

I suggest that you use PM to create a number of separate partitions with an eye to the future:

c:\ - current system (no more than 2GB
d:\ - data (perhaps 500 Mb, but probably less
e:\ - programs (up to 4 Gb)
f:\ - perhaps a games partition or a 2nd programs

then, up the other end

g:\ - a copy of your old system before you format the C;\ drive - just in case

h:\ - a copy of your new system as soon as its complete - then next time, your clean system is only a minute away.

I hyave run this system on 98Se for as long as I can remember - an total re-inbstallations only occur when I replace the mobo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…