Backup to external hard drive

simon17 13:05 28 Sep 03

Is there a way to backup my PC's internal hard drive to an external drive in its entirety? When I try copying, its unsuccessful because windows is in use

-pops- 13:24 28 Sep 03

You can't copy your hard drive in the way you appear to be trying. You require either a backup program or a ghosting program to do this.

If you are feeding to an external drive, ensure that you are able to read from this drive with no operating system in your computer (eg in case of catastrophic breakdown).

Normally, exteranl devices rely on a function of Windows to be able to function. If Windows is not there, you are stuck.

Why not install a second IDE hard drive inside your machine and do it that way? You will still need software though. There is Windows Backup you could try.

simon17 16:36 28 Sep 03

I downloaded the backup program from the XP disk and attempted a backup of the system. It seemed to be working, but aborted after 4 GB because apparently FAT backups can't be larger than this. So I still have a problem

anniesboy68 16:38 28 Sep 03

What about Drive Image? that should do it.

powerless 16:40 28 Sep 03

Drive Image will do perfectly, that is what i use! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…