BACKUP TO CD?

smick 13:15 04 Feb 03

I have read many posts on this subject but most seem to involve additional harddisks and software to mirror the original disk. I have a single m/c running win98, 40gig h/d & CD-RW. How can I backup my personal files from the mydocuments folder to CD if the folder size is larger than a single CD?

stlucia 13:51 04 Feb 03

The software that comes with your burner possibly already includes a function which allows you to make a backup which spans over several CDs -- any function with "backup" in its title (rather than "file copy") will probably do this.

If not, you might be able to zip the files and folders so that they will fit onto a CD, using freeware WinZip.

If you don't want to zip, and you don't want to buy new software such as Roxio or Nero, you can manually select folders and files for copying so that they total less than the size of a single CD, and do your backup bit by bit.

Pesala 18:49 04 Feb 03

To backup My Documents I use a couple of separate archives: One for my Page Plus DTP work, and one for everything else. First is about 10 Mbytes, second is about 40 Mbytes.

Archives compress DOC files very well, and small files like gifs and html waste huge amounts of space due to large sector sizes. Archiving them before copying to CD-RW saves a lot of time.

However, if you have a lot of JPG, MP3, MPEG files there is much less to be gained from archiving.

Using an archive also means you have a quick restore option without loading a CD at all.

There is a slight hazard in keeping all your eggs in one basket, but one can test the archive's intergrity before copying to CD-R once a month. Then update and copy the archive to CD-RW daily.

smick 10:36 05 Feb 03

Thanks for the posts. I have Roxio EZCD 5 platinum. This did have a backup program 'TAKE TWO' but it has now been removed from the updates which I have loaded.
I have also zipped up the files/folders but this is still too big.
I've just had a vision...........with WINZIP you can 'split' an archive onto seperate disks. Hopefully this may do the trick.

stlucia 12:36 05 Feb 03

I have Roxio Platinum 5 also, and Take Two is what I use. Perhaps you can re-load it from your original CD if its gone missing?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…