Backup appending software?

Dr. Charles(retired now) 12:15 09 May 10

I wonder if someone could help me with this problem, I'm currently using Nero version 8 to backup my hard disk of my computer onto DVDs. Always the program asks me to erase the DVDs prior to rewriting so I have to keep two sets on the go for safetys sake in case anything goes wrong. I`m trying not to compress the files or write them in another format

Life would be so much easier if I could just update the changes on my hard disk inormation IE appending rather than rewrite the entire hard disk. I'm seriously thinking of going on to an external hard drive for backup, has anyone experience of reasonably priced software that does this?
Best wishes,
Charles

VoG II 12:37 09 May 10

Try one of these click here click here

Forum Editor 12:45 09 May 10

How about free?

Synctoy from Microsoft backs up folders incrementally to an external hard drive - it's used daily in my office, and so far it hasn't put a foot wrong. It's simple, but often the best things are.

click here

Dr. Charles(retired now) 13:32 09 May 10

Thanks FE but is`nt that for 64bit or 86 bit systems? I`m running a 32 bit system here

I have a freeby edition of Ghost but its an old version.

Not sure

FE would be pleased to know if that would run on a 32 bit system
Thanks
Charles

canarieslover 14:47 09 May 10

Just download the file SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x86.exe which is for 32bit systems.

DieSse 14:58 09 May 10

Synchronisation is not backup.

If you delete a file accidentally, and then want to recover it at a later date (say when you notice it's missing) - then it may well not exist on a synchronised volume.

That's happened to me with a whole folder - it was safe and recoverable from an Acronis backup - it may not have existed on a synchronised volume.

Dr. Charles(retired now) 16:48 09 May 10

Folks,
I`m going to have to be away on a social function but will try the download I will return tomorrow to see if anyone else has suggestions
Best
Charles

Forum Editor 19:41 09 May 10

SyncToy will work in a 32bit version of Windows.

Provided you create and save a file in the first place, SyncToy will replicate it on your backup location.

DieSse is right about deleted files however - if you delete something from the source location SyncToy will delete it from the copy location.It will put the file into your recycle bin by default however, and you could retrieve it from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…